All the cinnamon roll goodness you love, but with less of the refined sugars.
Sweetened with all-natural Date Butter, the cinnamon filling tastes great on toast as well!
· 1 packet instant (or rapid rise) yeast
· 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
· 3 tbsp vegan butter (+2 tbsp to brush rolls before placing in oven)
· 1 tbsp sugar
· ¼ tsp salt
· 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
Filling – Cinnamon Date Butter
· ½ cup + 2 tbsp The Date Co. Date Butter
· ¾ tbsp cinnamon (or more/less, to taste)
· 2 ½ tbsp water, boiled
· 2 tbsp almond milk
· 1 cup icing sugar
1. In a large sauce pan, heat the almond milk & 3 tbsp vegan butter until warm & melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat & let cool until it is warm to touch but not too hot or it may kill the yeast.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl & sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add the sugar & salt & stir.
3. Add in flour ½ cup at a time, stirring as you go. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface & knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball, adding more flour as you go as it will absorb. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola or grape seed oil & add your dough ball back in. Roll around to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap & set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. In a small bowl, add Date Butter, water & cinnamon. Mix well to combine.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Spread the Date Butter mixture on top.
6. Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough & situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections & position in a well-buttered (or parchment paper lined) 8x8 inch square or comparable sized round pan. Brush rolls with about 2 tbsp melted vegan butter & cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
7. Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately or add glaze. Combine almond milk with sifted icing sugar and drizzle over rolls for desired sweetness. Serve warm & enjoy!